Two worlds collide when cycling legend Jonathan "Jock" Boyer moves to Rwanda to help the first Rwandan National Cycling Team in their six year journey to compete in the Olympic Games. Against impossible odds both Jock and the team find new purpose as they rise from the ashes of their past. Stunningly filmed, Rising from Ashes follows Jock (the first American to compete in the Tour de France) and his Rwandan riders as they slowly learn what it means to be a professional cyclist - how to train, compete, and live the life of a top level athlete. As their strength and confidence grow, the riders of Team Rwanda give their fellow citizens a vision of something greater than themselves and their history: hope for a future.
Visit the RFA Screening Kit
for access to the RFA Screening Guide, Impact Guide and Invitation Assets! SCREEN THE FILM AT YOUR SCHOOL
Bring Rising from Ashes to your classroom or campus and use the film to explore a range of topics - from Rwandan history and conflict resolution to cultural differences and interpersonal relationships. Above all, you can discuss the power of unity behind a common vision. The lessons we learn with Team Rwanda are lessons we can learn everywhere - especially in our own backyards, playgrounds, and communities. Join us as we continue to learn with and through Team Rwanda.
– Screen the Film to your student body
– Create breakout discussions with our In Class Discussion Guide
– Bring the Filmmakers and Team Rwanda cyclists to campus for our interactive "Team is Team" presentation
– Over 5000 students impacted and counting
– UNESCO Global Youth Forum - student representatives from 150 countries
– Yale College and Brown University
– Global Connections High School in Seattle, WA - representing the most diverse zip code in the United States
– And the many other leading schools and universities we have had the privilege to visit
"Rising From Ashes is a moving and beautiful piece that touches on African history, the power of sports as a vehicle for peace and reconciliation, and human triumph. We showed the film on our campus, hosted classroom discussions, and brought the filmmakers and two of the riders from Team Rwanda to speak with our student body. Our school hosts eight to ten guest speakers each year, and our seniors -- who have now seen 30-35 presenters --celebrated this program as the most powerful, engaging, and transformative. Of all of the programs I have worked to envision and realize in my career, this ranks among the most memorable and meaningful."
– Chris Gunnin, Head of Upper School, Trinity Valley School, Ft Worth, TX
--If you would like to host a screening for a room size larger than what is listed (500 for single screenings), please contact us at
for a price quote. For University purchases, please note that the PPR that come included with the film are for rooms / auditoriums with 250 seats or less - if you'd like to show the film to more than 250 people, please contact us.
--We will ship the media your way 10 days prior to your screening.
If interested in having the filmmakers and/or members of Team Rwanda at your screening, please email
Please Note:– If you would like to host a screening for a room size larger than what is listed (500 for single screenings, 250 for university) please fill out the Request a Quote form for a price quote.
– We will ship the media to arrive 7 days prior to your screening.