Documentary, LGBT, HIV/AIDS, Black Culture, Southern Culture, rural America, poverty, WORLD AIDS DAY 2014
'deepsouth' is a documentary about the rural American South, and the people who inhabit its most quiet corners. Beneath layers of history, poverty and now soaring HIV infections, four Americans redefine traditional Southern values to create their own solutions to survive.
Josh, a college student, seeks the support of an underground gay family miles away from his suffocating Mississippi Delta hometown. With no funds and few resources, Monica and Tammy try to unite reluctant participants at their annual HIV retreat in rural Louisiana. Kathie, an Alabama activist, spends 120 days a year on the road fighting a bureaucracy that continues to ignore the South.
'deepsouth' has won several film festival awards, including the Award for Freedom at the Outfest Los Angeles LGBT Film Festival and Best Documentary Awards at the Sidewalk, Outflix, Polari and Pensacola LGBT Film Festivals. The film was a finalist for the both Ridenhour Documentary Prize (social justice) and the Livingston Award (national reporting). In the last two years, 'deepsouth' has been part of local, regional and national conversations on HIV/AIDS in the South. The film's 70-stop grassroots tour included 45 stops in rural communities, a summit meeting at The White House and an interactive panel discussion with youth leaders at the Clinton Global Initiative.TIPS FOR HOSTING COMMUNITY SCREENINGS
- Secure public performance rights through TUGG. If you are a college or university, your library acquisition comes with public performance rights
- Publicize your event on social media, and tag us on Facebook + Twitter
- Download a digital postcard, full-size poster (for printing), press kit and press photos (Credit caption: Courtesy of deepsouth)
- The DVD you will receive has a 13-minute update video with the director and principal cast -- we suggest you play this after the film
- If you're interested in the filmmakers and/or cast Skyping into your screening and have a modest budget, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Have fun, make it an event -- food and drink always help. Thank you for starting the conversation!
- If you're an advocate or fan, and want to spread the word on this issue, please consider getting rewarded for your efforts, and join our Affiliate program, where you get a commission on the sales that come through you.
Please Note:– If you would like to host a screening for a room size larger than what is listed (500 for single screenings, 250 for university) please fill out the Request a Quote form for a price quote.
– We will ship the media to arrive 7 days prior to your screening.